This series chronicles the rides and reflections of record-holding long distance motorcycle rider Bruce Arnold. Bruce was one of the first 10 Mile Eater Gold members in the Iron Butt Association, to which he has to date submitted 56 distance and endurance rides – 56 certified, 0 in-process, all ONE RIDE, ONE CERT including:
- the 100CCC Insanity (CCC GOLD)
- 18 SaddleSore 1000’s (SS1000’s)
- 5 Bun Burner 1500’s (BB1500’s)
- 6 SaddleSore 2000’s (SS2000’s)
- 22 Bun Burner GOLD 1500’s (BBG1500’s)
- 2 Bun Burner GOLD 3000’s (BBG3000’s)
- the Bun Burner GOLD Trifecta (BBG4500)
All of Bruce’s Iron Butt rides were completed “old school” – meaning without the use of oversized tanks, fuel cells, Bluetooth headsets, Garmin GPS, or heated clothing. From January 2007 to May 2008, he submitted at least one IBA ride each month for a total of 22 rides over the 17-month period. As for his distance and endurance motorcycle riding records:
- In December 2008, he became the first Harley-Davidson rider to complete the BBG4500;
- In June 2010, he became the first exclusively Harley rider to complete 50 Iron Butt rides and the first Iron Butt rider to complete 50 certified rides on the same bike; and
- As of September 2014 he held the record for the most BBG1500’s completed with 22 certified rides.
After 2014, Bruce’s night vision deteriorated to where he could no longer ride safely after dark. Consequently, he can no longer eat the 1000+ miles per day that distance rides like the SaddleSore 1000 require – much less the 1500+ daily mileage minimum for endurance rides like the Bun Burner Gold. As one of the Last of the Motohicans, he still enjoys motorcycle touring from sunrise to sunset.
View All Distance Riding Posts
See also the Distance Riding section of the Drill Down Here menu.
Many thanks for their encouragement and support go to:
- Diann Pearson (GBNF)
- Mike Kneebone
- Jack Shoalmire (GBNF)
- Steve Broadhead
No thanks go to the LDRiders (aka ELDIWINIs) who referred to me and my fellow Motohicans as, and I quote, “…the Hardly Maggot lifestyle biker, the chrome and leather crowd.”